Huron County
Common Pleas Court
Probate and Juvenile Divisions


Ohio Revised Code 4705.01 prevents the Juvenile Court's Clerks from giving legal advice or from helping you prepare legal papers in a new or pending case in this or any court.

  • If divorced, filing must be addressed where custody was established unless there was a subsequent dependent, neglect, or abuse adjudication in Juvenile Court.
  • If another Court has juridiction over the child, you must return to that Court.
  • Failure to file in the proper jurisdiction may result in dismissal or transfer of your case and loss of all or part of your filing fee


What is a motion? (A motion is filed if you already have a case.)

 A motion is a formal request made to a judge for an order or judgment. Motions are made in court all the time for many purposes: to continue (postpone) a hearing to a later date, to get a modification of an order, for a judgment, for dismissal of the opposing party's case, for a rehearing, or for dozens of other purposes.  Motions require your signature along with your address, your telephone number and a certificate of service indicating parties have received a copy of the motion.  However during a trial or a hearing, an oral motion may be permitted.


What is a complaint? (A complaint is filed if you DO NOT have a case.)

A complaint is the first document filed with the court (actually with the County Clerk or Clerk of the Court) by a person or entity claiming legal rights against another. The party filing the complaint is usually called the plaintiff and the party against whom the complaint is filed is called the defendant or defendants. Complaints are pleadings and must be drafted carefully (usually by an attorney) to properly state the factual as well as legal basis for the claim, although some states have approved complaint forms which can be filled in by an individual. A complaint also must follow statutory requirements as to form. For example, a complaint must be typed on a specific type of paper or on forms approved by the courts, name both the party making the claim and all defendants, and should state what damages or performance is demanded (the prayer). When the complaint is filed, the court clerk will issue a summons, which gives the name and file number of the lawsuit and the address of the attorney filing the complaint, and instructs the defendant that he/she/it has a specific time to file an answer or other response. A copy of the complaint and the summons must be served on a defendant before a response is required. Under a unique statute, New York allows a summons to be served without a complaint. A complaint filing must be accompanied by a filing fee payable to the court clerk, unless a waiver based on poverty is obtained.

Instruction for Pro Se Filing

  1. Whether you are filing a new complaint or a motion in an existing case you must complete all forms in their entirety and to the best of your ability.
  2. If you are filing a new complaint or a motion in an existing case regarding custody and/or visitation YOU MUST also complete a parenting proceeding affidavit, request for service, personal identifier sheet, and financial statement. The affidavit must be notarized prior to your bringing it to the court for filing.
  3. The attached forms: shared parenting plan, motion for waiver of deposit and request/motion for emergency hearing are optional forms and DO NOT need to be completed unless you are specifically making that request.
  4. Type or print your responses in blue or black ink.
  5. If you are filing a new complaint, the filing fee will be $225.00 and if you are filing a motion in an existing case, the filing fee will be $150.00. The filing fee is due at the time you file the complaint and/or motion.
  6. The complaint/motion shall be set for hearing by the Court. You shall receive a hearing notice in the mail.  If your hearing notice is returned as undeliverable as addressed and you have not notified the Court of your new address, in writing, the complaint/motion shall be dismissed without further action.
  7. If the hearing notice for another party is returned as undeliverable as addressed, you will be contacted for a new address. It is your responsibility to supply a good address in writing to the Court as soon as possible.  If you do not do so, and complaint/motion is not served at the time of the hearing and the other party does not appear at the hearing, the motion/complaint will be dismissed without further action.  All complaints shall be served on the parties by certified mail, unless service by the sheriff or process server is requested in writing.  If you request personal service by the sheriff, additional costs will be assessed.  If you want personal service a process server, it is your responsibility to make those arrangements.
  8. If you are unable to supply the address because the other party’s location is unknown to you, and cannot be found out with reasonable diligence, service by publication is provided for you in Juvenile Rule 16 (A). Because of the technical requirements and cost involved, the Court suggests that you consult with an attorney before pursuing this action.

Filing Fees

$225.00 to file a new complaint 

$150.00 to file a motion

      Forms Must Be Printed On One Side

Per Local Rule #9 we will no longer accept forms that are printed on both sides.

Affidavit for Publication


Motion for Continuance

Motion for Limited Driving Privileges or To Restore All Driving Privileges

Motion for Waiver of Deposit

Notice of Intent to Relocate

Objections to Magistrate's Decision

Objections to Request for Restitution


Precipe for Subpena

Precipe for Subpena Duces Tecum

Request for Emergency Hearing

Witness & Exhibit List